What Digital Marketing is NOT
Digital marketing has become synonymous with targeted and interactive marketing for products and services that delivers measurable results for marketers. It has enabled the consumers to become a part of the brand’s journey and define their own expectations from the brand. They research thoroughly before making purchase decisions, obtaining feedback and reviews from peers who have experienced the products and services they wish for.
Digital marketing is a mix of marketing channels like search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), content marketing, influencer engagement, campaign marketing, social media marketing, email direct marketing (EDM), SMS Marketing, Whatsapp Marketing, display advertising and any other form of digital media to communicate brand message to the consumers. Digital marketing is about reaching to your target audience on digital devices (Laptops, Desktops, PDAs, and Mobiles) through digital media anytime anywhere.
However, digital marketing is more than simply adding these online channels of communication. It requires careful integration of digital into all aspects of marketing rather than running it as a soiled function within the marketing vertical. Then, it requires a strategy to run in cohesion with the other traditional media. This is where most marketers falter and lose the plot.
What digital marketing is NOT
The most acceptable definition of Digital Marketing is on Wikipedia that says – “Digital marketing is an umbrella term for the targeted, measurable, and interactive marketing of products or services using digital technologies to reach and convert leads into customers and retain them.”
There are a lot of myths and misconceptions among marketing professionals towards the usability of digital marketing for their brand. Some are caused by a limited understanding of the medium, while others may be a direct result of over reliance on traditional media for far too long. Here are some of the most common ones that may impede the implementation of a successful digital marketing strategy for brands.
- Campaign result measurements are unclear in digital marketing: On the contrary, results of a digital marketing campaign are measurable with exceptional accuracy. Unlike traditional media like television or newspapers where an accurate depiction of audience data is not available, each click, each message delivered and read by the target consumers is available to the marketers, enabling them to make tactical adjustments to their strategy during a live campaign. These quantifiable insights make digital marketing a unique proposition for marketing professionals.
- Digital marketing is about paid activities only: Digital marketing offers a larger pool of tactics to choose from to marketers. Some of these activities like search engine and social media marketing, display advertising, EDMs, etc. fall under the paid marketing activities, while others like content marketing and influencer engagement need not be paid activities at all. It is among the unique features of digital marketing where the tactics do not restrain brands from achieving their targets. Brands and marketers can experiment freely while choosing which tactics to deploy without straining their resources to optimize their ROI.
- Digital marketing campaign should cover every social media platform: Social media platforms can be fun for the brand and its audience, and enable the brand to communicate with the target audience quickly and directly. However, marketing on social media platforms requires sharp focus. Employing too many platforms at the same time may weaken the campaign altogether. The social media strategy should be targeted at a select few social platforms that are used frequently by your audience to deliver relevant communications to them regularly. It must make sense for your brand and market, and should not be governed by trending platforms. Facebook and Twitter are great to begin, but you may want to consider LinkedIn or Pinterest depending on your target audience.
- Digital marketing activities can be implemented à la carte: Brands need to define their objectives at the beginning of any campaign. Digital marketing activities should be customized to reflect those objectives by means of incorporation in the overall brand strategy that will inevitably differ for each brand and for each marketing problem. For example, gaming apps may not be suitable for a social enterprise like an NGO, but essential to establish a brand recall for a professional services business like software or a car manufacturer.
- Digital marketing is a one-time activity: Marketing communications delivers the desired results when it is a sustained effort. And since digital marketing is not a soiled activity, it needs to be incorporated into the overall marketing strategy as a sustained strategy to communicate with the target audience and interact with them regularly to retain brand recall among them. These interactions also deliver additional content for the brand in the form of customer testimonials and acts as a showcase of the customer centric approach of the brand.
Digital marketing services from Paarami
At Paarami Business Solutions, we believe that a carefully crafted strategy is the key to conquering the market in a digital world. A brand’s perception and, therefore, its market is defined by its understanding of the market. And Paarami’s expertise and experience in strategic digital marketing consulting is equipped to deliver these results for your brand. Our experts analyze product cycles, understand your industry and competition, and help you in defining benchmark success metrics for your organizational goals. We help you create websites and other digital collateral to fit into your digital marketing strategy. We take care of your social media optimizations and interactions, search engine optimizations and marketing to ensure your presence in the digital world is placed appropriately for maximum reach among your target customers. Our experts ensure that your digital marketing campaign delivers on every promise beyond your expectations.
Digital marketing goes beyond the tactics alone to offer analysis, market research, technology, and business design through carefully drafted strategies to help the business realize its full potential. Every marketing strategy is designed with the objective of attracting, converting and engaging customers with the brand. So it becomes imperative for brands to stand from out among the crowd in the online space and reach the customers effectively in this brave new digital world and Paarami Business Solutions is ready to deliver just that.
To define digital marketing strategy for your brand, contact us here.